Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The 513, Queen City, Sin-cinnati, Porkopolis, The Nati, The Nasty Nati (sigh) and finally, Cincinnasty.


The 513, Queen City, Sin-cinnati, Porkopolis, The Nati, The Nasty Nati, (sigh) and finally, Cincinnasty. 

This is the city of Cincinnati. 

I grew up here, and to be quite honest, my biggest aspiration has always been to move away. How am I doing so far? That’s a matter of opinion, but for better or worse, this is currently home. This is where I have spent about 60% of my adult life (so far) and whether I want it to be or not, Cincinnati has molded my perspective and identity. It has seeped into my psychi and continues to influence my viewpoints, and since it has such a strong hold over my outlook I thought I would reflect a bit about what it's like to be here. What's the good, the bad and the ugly? Why do people love this city as much as they hate it, and what does it mean to the people who have found themselves here, and to the people who have left it behind? 

It is not that I think Cincinnati has a super unique story, in fact I believe it might share a very similar story to many other American cities; their citizens both love and hate their home turf. They work together to make it better, and gripe about its shortcomings. However, Cincinnati is odd, there seems to be a lingering resentment floating around some of the neighborhoods and its not singular. It just kind of seems that many just feel slightly disappointed by this place, a bit, let down by its quaintness, and annoyed by its charm. Cincinnati lingers in this space between urban and suburban, historic and gentrified, Southern and Northern, and conservative and liberal. It's stuck right in the middle, not quite a CITY but not quite a town. Further, I have never been somewhere where so many people talk about wanting to leave. That being said, I have never grown up somewhere, moved away, then moved back. But I have always joked that Cincinnati had the strongest gravitational pull of all cities in America. 

What interests me most about Cincinnati currently are all the transitions. I'm interested in documenting the city as it is now. Looking at some of the history, and sharing stories from people who have lived here. I'm not sure this blog will ever be politically correct, or totally fair to Cincinnati. But I want to collect the reflections, and this moment in time. I want to share this odd little/big place with all of you.  

So, hello Internet, I’d like to meet Cincinnati. 








No comments:

Post a Comment